Air Conditioning and Heating Efficiency Tips
- Check the filter at least once a month during the warm season and clean it as needed.
- Use the fan setting at night when the air outside is cool, or open a window and leave the air conditioner off. Keep windows closed whenever the air conditioner is on.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat and set it to turn on no more than 30 minutes before you expect to return home.
- Leave shades on windows and doors closed as much as possible to help keep the cool in, and the hot out during summer
- The lower you set your temperature, the more it will cost. For example, a 75° setting will cost about 18 percent more than a 78° setting.
- Install a solar powered attic fan to help ventilate your home to reduce the need for air conditioning.
- Seal and insulate ducts to improve the efficiency of your heating and cooling system by as much as 20 percent
- Plant clematis, vines, or other shade-producing plants in front of east- and west-facing windows to reduce the need for air conditioning.